2013 Judging Criteria:
Teams will be judged on the following criteria:
- Research Plan
- Using the guidelines given, Research Plans will be evaluated on the quality of the plan, which includes a well-written, thorough, but concise plan that includes the listed elements: Background, Purpose, Procedure, Observation, Measurement, Summary, and References. The measurement component, although a part of the Research Plan, will be evaluated separately.
- Measurement Tool
- Using the above guidelines, teams will be evaluated on the validity of their tool used to measure the distance the vehicle travels.
- The video presentation of the design challenge project is the third component used for evaluation. The expectation is not for a professional quality video, but will be evaluated on the video’s ability to show the team’s design, the propulsion system in action, and clear narration of the project. This presentation should show the story of the project, including a close-up of the propulsion system, the system in action, and an explanation of what has been done.
- Research Essay
- The research essay should be a typed, two-page essay (500 word maximum) about the importance of developing and using green fuels. Because the research essay is relatively short in length, background information should be concise, leaving room for your thoughts and ideas. You must cite your sources! Use APA format for citations (not included in final word count and page limit). Essays will be judged on well-developed, creative and thoughtful ideas, quality research presented within the paper, and proper citation procedures. Avoid difficult-to-validate sources of information such as Wikipedia. More than one source should be used, but remember that the essay is only 2 pages, so don’t use too many sources, either.
- Creativity and Innovation
- The final evaluation of the challenge will be centered on the creativity and innovation of each step of this challenge. Teams are asked to come up with unique ways to create a vehicle that can travel the farthest with the above propulsion system, and points will be awarded for interesting yet effective advancements of the propulsion system and videos that are fun and informative to watch.